Saturday, May 3, 2014

Sponsorship Saturday: Will You Sponsor a Child?

Ever since I first saw an article on Compassion International in a Brio magazine, God had placed sponsorship on my heart. Because I was so young and did not have the money or discipline to support a child, I kind of let the idea go. But as my love for children with special needs (whether mental, physical, spiritual or financial) grew, I kept thinking about Compassion.

I also wanted God to use me to change the world. And when it comes to Compassion, you're changing the world one child at a time. You're giving them a future and a hope in Jesus. So, almost two years ago in November, I finally listened to God and chose to sponsor Fadi. She has been a blessing ever since.

Fadi is almost 8 years old (only 20 more days!!) and is in 1st grade. Her parents are separated so she lives with her mom along with her 3 siblings. She is from Honduras.

In the last two years, I have received 6 letters from Fadi. I'm blessed that Fadi's mom writes the letters for her because this gives me a personal connection with Fadi and her family. They pray for me frequently and I always receive a beautiful and colorful picture in each letter. It's fun to see how her drawings have improved and her colors have gotten brighter. 

In one letter, Fadi's mom wrote: Fadi and we pray for you a lot. Thank you for being so special to her. May God keep you always. Fadi asks you to pray for our family because God is a God of answers...I ask you to pray for Fadi and her family and we will pray for you that you are well in everything. Fadi says goodbye with gratitude for being her sponsor. God bless you.


When I heard about Compassion's correspondent sponsorship program last year, I thought it'd be a great idea to do it. It's sad that there are children out there who have never received a letter from their sponsor. I am blessed to be a part of their lives when I write them. So, I decided to request a boy and that's when Ali entered my life. Not long afterwards, I became his financial sponsor.

Ali is 8 years old (and will turn 9 in October). His parents are also separated and so he and his 2 siblings live with their mom in Honduras.

Ali is really smart. He loves to learn and loves to study in school. In fact, both my kids seem to love school (Fadi wants to be a math teacher). 

I have received 3 letters from Ali so far but in my first letter from him, his teacher wrote: May God bless you. Ali tells you that he is very good health and very glad to have you asked his sponsor...He would like to meet you...He sends you many hugs and kisses, may the Lord keep pouring many blessings in your life.



Finally, I decided that I wanted to co-sponsor again and was given Lucy.

Lucy is also 7 years old (will turn 8 in September) and she lives in Ghana. 

So far, I have received one letter from her with lots of beautiful drawings (she's quite the artist!). In her letter, she included a prayer request that said: She wants you to pray for her to know the ways of the Lord and to follow them as she grows up.

That is so special! I do pray that she and my two other beautiful kids will know the ways of Jesus and follow them for the rest of their lives.






I am not trying to force you guys to sponsor. All I can do is give you my own story and let you know how it's changed my life. Poverty is no small deal. Poverty takes the lives of children, destroys hope and families and leaves people vulnerable. But poverty also is the perfect gateway to Christ. 

Compassion stresses over and over the importance of writing letters to sponsored children. Of course, providing the $38 a month is important (this pays for medical checkups, food, schooling, clothes..) but God can work the best through our monthly letters to the kids. 

When you tell something to a child, they will believe you. Don't look at this as a negative thing - look at it as a positive. When I tell Fadi, Ali and Lucy that they are special, powerful, loved and children of God, it plants a seed in their heart. They stop thinking of themselves as worthless and poor. They see that they are loved and have a purpose. 

I encourage you to sponsor a child today. If you feel that God is calling you to do so, don't hesitate it put it off. He will provide the means for you to do so. It sounds like it cost a lot but God can do the im. possible. I currently pay $76 a month to support Fadi and Ali. But God has ALWAYS provided the money for me.

Those pictures above are not just pictures. Those are three different people with three different stories. When you sponsor, you'll enter into a life of a child across the world and be a part of their story too. One day, they will remember you and thank God that you saved them. Do you want to be a part of that? Will YOU sponsor a child?

If you'd like to sponsor a child, please click HERE.  

On MyCompassionSunday page, there is currently a picture of a 6 year old boy from Burkina Faso. His name is Wend-yam. If any of you guys feel led to sponsor, please click on "I'm Here For You - My Compassion Story" to view his picture and sponsor him. After he has been sponsored, a new child will be on my wall for you guys to sponsor.

Check out my last "Sponsorship Saturday" post:

4 comments:

Hannah H. said...

I love how you used your story to encourage others to sponsor. I loved seeing the photos of your kids!!! There'll all precious. I also enjoyed the excerpts from their letters. What sweet kids and families.

Alicia said...

Thanks for reading, Hannah!

Jill Foley said...

I love this testimony of how sponsorship has changed you! I started sponsoring my first child when I was in college - I did it because I wanted to change the life of a child. I had NO IDEA that God would use sponsorship to change my life.

I often feel like God created me for this...to be a part of this ministry. To sponsor child and to advocate for them. Child sponsorship is not something I do - it's part of who I am - part of who God created me to be.

I got the same sense about you when I read this post. THANK YOU for sharing your story - don't stop. Share, share, share and watch God use it to speak to others.

Alicia said...

Thank you so much for sharing, Jill! Not only are we blessing our sponsored kids but God has used them to bless us too!! I LOVE what we're doing!