1. How did you decide on the title for your blog?
Well for starters, I'm an MK (missionary kid) from and living in West Africa - where I've practically been my whole life. Niger, the country that my family is serving in, is just a stone's throw away from the Sahara Desert, hence, the name for the blog. I was born in and adopted from Benin and then moved to Niger when I was 2 with parents and younger brother. Now I'm 18 years old and my life in Africa is quickly coming to an end.
The second thing you should know is that I love purple. It doesn't matter what shade but I am just infatuated by the color. When I was little, I used to think that I had purple skin instead of brown. And as I grew up, I never got tired of the color. I guess you can say that's where the "Violet" part came from. But it could also be because violets aren't very common in the Sahara Desert, or any desert for that matter. In a desert, they're unique. They're just as unique as an introverted, adopted African/American girl currently living on her home continent infatuated with the color purple and wanting to be a light for Christ in a world that has grown tired of hearing about him. Yep, pretty unique I'd suppose.
(Taken directly from my About Me page)
2. What are some of your favorite pastimes?
Reading ~ I especially like realistic fiction or the Bible
Movies ~ I'm a big fan of dramas and romantic comedies and can watch the same movie over and over and over. . .
Games~ My favorite card game is definitely Dutch Blitz
Music~ I listen to all sorts of genres but what I mostly have on my iPod is pop
Journaling~ I use my journal for prayer so as I write out all my thoughts and feelings, I'm also discussing them with God!
3. Describe a typical day in your life?
6:02am - I wake up and get ready for school/work at Sahel. This includes doing my devotions, checking Facebook/Twitter/email, getting dressed and eating breakfast. I'm out the door by 7am.
7:30am-2:30pm - I'm at school helping out in the Kindergarten classroom. Even though it's a blast working with the kids, I leave at the end of the school day exhausted. My duties as the Kindergarten teacher's assistant include teaching the kids Bible, helping a few of the kids stay on task and keep up with the rest of the students, supervising the elementary kids at recess, learning from Mrs. S (the Kindergarten teacher), eating lunch with my high school/middle school friends and keeping the kids quiet at nap time. Fun, fun, fun!
3:00pm-11pm - I get home and do any extra lesson planning that I wasn't able to do at school. Then I usually crash in front of the TV (or my computer), chat with friends online, write my sponsored kids or listen to music. I have dinner, play games (board games and Wii MarioKart) and watch a movie or TV show with my mom and dad.
Of course, there are certain days when I have after school activities like Baby Home, Youth Group or Bible Study but this is the typical schedule for me.
4. What is one thing you are sentimental about?
I get pretty emotional when I hear about kids who have been neglected, abused or "forgotten". I hope to one day work with special needs kids and also adopt kids who have been abused. God has really laid hurting kids on my heart.
5. What is your most popular/most read/favorite blog post?
Surprisingly, my most popular and most read blog post is "20 Facts About My Best Friend". I originally had each fact posted as a tweet on Twitter a few years ago but then decided to turn it into a blog post. I had no idea that it'd be so popular! To read about this best friend of mine, click on the link above!
6. What is one goal you have for 2015?
I don't know if this is much of a goal but I truly want to know more and to really accept how much God loves me. I know that he does but I'm often forgetting. This year, as I say hello to a lot of new changes and beginnings (leaving Niger, going to Honduras???, starting college and moving back to the U.S.) I want to be able to trust God and to really understand how much he loves me.
7. What is your favorite blog post that I wrote?
I don't really have a favorite post but I love all that has been written about Tera. Obviously, I'm not married or have children but I love hearing about what it's like to be a young mommy. I file away all those helpful tips that have to do with cloth diapers and schedules and keep in the back of my mind for later!
8. What is your favorite aspect of blogging?
I love being able to communicate my thoughts and feelings. As an introvert, I really do struggle with getting my emotions across when talking to someone face to face. Being able to chat online or blog helps me to think clearly and to have my say. I also love being able to use my voice to speak out about bullying, suicide, poverty, children, racism and God.
9. What is the meaning behind YOUR name? Are you named after someone?
I actually just asked my mom today if she knew what my name meant (and she didn't) and she told me that I was named after a family friend name Alice. Alice is a very dear friend to my mom but even so, my mom didn't think that Alice Ruth sounded very nice. So, she changed it a bit and named me Alicia. My birth name is actually a name in Bariba (a language spoken in Benin) which means "third daughter". I like to use it once in a while.
10. What is your favorite season and why?
My favorite season is probably winter. It's a bit random because I really dislike being cold but I love the beauty of snow and being able to sit inside all toasty and warm. Winter also brings Christmas in December and my birthday in February.
11. Tell me 10 random things about yourself
1. I was adopted from Benin, West Africa and have grown up in Niger, West Africa
2. I have two financially sponsored children from Honduras and two correspondent sponsored kids from Ghana and Haiti. I love them as if they were my little brother and sisters and am looking forward to meeting some of them face to face. You can read more about them HERE.
3. I LOVE spicy food and basically have to eat it every day. My favorite spicy dish is sauteed onions and hot peppers. I eat it almost every day!
4. I don't have a favorite movie but I really like the sad, dark and dramatic ones like The Great Gatsby, The Perks of Being a Wallflower and The Fault in Our Stars to name a few.
5. I'm a missionary kid and have spent my whole life living in West Africa
6. I LOVE little kids!
7. I consider myself very introverted. I prefer being by myself in my room thinking about life and all its wonders ;)
8. I attended the same school almost all the way from Kindergarten to 12th grade and now I work there!
9. I have a fascination and appreciation for ASL and the deaf culture. I'd love to adopt (or work with) deaf kids
10. Jesus is the love of my life and my best friend (*cough* I may have just given away the answer to the facts in my most popular blog post. . .)
I nominate these blogs for the Liebster Award -->
~ Love is an Action
~ You're Not Invisible
~ Watt's Happenings
~ Our Compassion Adventure
Please answer the following questions and nominate some of your favorite blogs for a Liebster Award:
1. How did you decide on the title for your blog?
2. Who/What is your inspiration?
3. How many countries have you traveled to in your lifetime?
4. What is your favorite blog post that I have written?
5. What is your favorite blog post that YOU have written?
6. What is your favorite Bible verse and why?
7. If you could spend a day with any person (living or dead) who would you choose?
8. Name a quirk of yours
9. Why did you decide to start a blog?
10. If you knew that today was your last day on earth how would you spend it?
11. Name 12 random facts about yourself